Tuesday, September 29, 2009

ION

Sounds scientific? Don't worry, this ION refers to It's Only Natural, a vegetarian/vegan restaurant located in Middletown, CT. Aaron spoiled me today while I was visiting him and brought me here for a second time. Once again, my expectations were fulfilled!

Some background information from their brochure:
"Everything is vegan except cheddar & mozzarella. We use filtered water, stainless steel cookware & all natural organic ingredients. We have never & never would use trans-fat or microwaves! Bread is baked here daily."

Sounds like the type of place only a veg would want to eat at? Nope! My boyfriend, a meat-lover, swears by their southern fried "chicken" a.k.a. triangular fried tofu bites. Even his family couldn't tell the difference. And let's not forget their focus on not only organic, but local ingredients.

Today I ordered a soy iced chai and a tomato and potato tart served over salad with goat cheese {a special of the day}. Aaron ordered the tempeh "crab" cakes with sweet potato fries, and the southern fried "chicken" to share. While our entrees came out a bit late due to a mix-up, the wait was worth it.
Aaron's tempeh "crab" cakes

My tomato & potato tart over salad with goat cheese

I kid you not, the sweet potato fries are the BEST I have ever tried, and I have tried many. Everything else was quite tasty as well. I am glad our waitress recommended the tart and chai!

Sweet potato fries -- The best.

Even if you were not a veg, give ION a try if you are in the area. You will never miss the meat!

386 Main Street
Middletown, CT
860.346.9210

4 comments:

la petite fashionista said...

so happy that you've found your "direction" for your blog! looks like living in NY is already having an impact on your life! this food all looks amazingly yummy-- can't wait to read more!

Farmer's Daughter said...

Sounds great! Perhaps my SIL Kate and I will check it out.

Are you in CT today? Not skipping school, are you???

Kayla said...

Lauren -- Thank you :D :D

Abbie -- It took my a while to decode SIL, but I got it! And you definitely should :D

I didn't skip school today, don't worry. We had Yom Kippur off so I was in CT yesterday!

JOWY said...

THAT LOOKS SO INCREDIBLY YUMMY!

One Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com