Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beet Risotto

Last Saturday, I went to the farmer's market and bought some organic orange* beets. I can't think of a time that I ever knowingly ate beets, and really wanted to give them a shot.

A few days ago, I stumbled upon this recipe for Beet and Beet Greens risotto via Design*Sponge. I followed the recipe pretty accurately but omitted fresh parsley {I had none}, used red wine in place of white, and did not make the horseradish cream sauce.

After smelling the mixture at first as it was cooking, I was skeptical. But when it was all done, and had been mixed with a generous helping of Parmesan, it was awesome.

If you're a beet virgin, try this recipe first and you will not be disappointed.

*As I shredded the orange beets, they oxidized and became greenish/brown. Hence why the risotto itself is not orange.

2 comments:

la petite fashionista said...

that looks delicious!

i'm having a wonderful time & your study abroad tips have already come in handy! :)

Everydaywoman said...

I love how you never "knowingly" ate beets; who would? Now that we've got this great recipe, you might convert some virgins out there! Anything with risotto and Parmesan has got to taste good!

I'm with you on the vegetarian diet. Although I'm pretty sure I can't do vegan as I seem to need cheese and some dairy products, I could very happily live without meat. I do cook it for my family, but personally, it skeeves me!